Fact Sheet - Statistics on internet piracy in Italy
- Broadband penetration is 8% of all households (1.7 millions of Italian families have a broadband connection).
- 4 million people swap music on unauthorised file-sharing services on the internet in Italy at any one time.
- 21% of young people aged 18-24 engage in file-sharing.
- 15% of 14-17's engage in file-sharing.
- 55% of unauthorised file-sharers know that uploading unauthorised music is illegal.
State of the local industry
- Between 2001 and 2004 music sales fell by 17.7 million euro - an 11% drop.
- Music buying has declined by 1% among 14-24 year olds and 9% among 18-24 year olds, due to the availability of free music files on the web.
- 20% of music industry jobs have been lost in the past 4 years
- It is forecast that 1,950,000 million regular internet users will download music legitimately in the future (forecast)
- There are seven legitimate services. These are: Tiscali, RAI, MSN, Telecom Italy, Buongiorno Vitaminic, Messaggerie Digitali